The Scott machine was the product of an engineering genius called Alfred Angas Scott. His motorcycle first was built using a homemade twin cylinder engine installed into the steering head of a modified bicycle. He went on to produce a motorcycle which, would not look out of place in a modern motorcycle catalogue his machine incorporated water cooling, telescopic forks, low slung weight and a lightweight duplex frame giving superb road holding.
The first Scott 1910 motorcycle were manufactured under contract by a Bradford-based car firm called Jowett. Thereafter production moved to the famous works at Yorkshire in about 1910. These first Scott were two-speed models utilising an innovative rocking pedal foot-operated gear change which also doubled as a type of clutch. The crankshafts comprised a central flywheel with two overhung cranks. The water-cooled 2-stroke engine featured deflector type pistons to assist the displacement of the spent charge by the incoming mixture of fuel and air. Initially, the twin-cylinder head was the only part of the engine to benefit from watercooling.
Later the whole barrel assembly was surrounded by a snug water jacket with the water circulation being entirely due to convection and known as the thermosiphon system. In fact, so advanced and powerful was the early Scott machine that, as soon as its capabilities were widely known, it instantly became the victim of official discrimation in competitive events. No motorcycle manufacturer of the period could achieve full publicity until they had competed in the famous Isle of Man Tourist Trophy races. In 1910 a Scott was the first 2-stroke motorcycle ever to complete a full TT course under race conditions and in 1911 a machine, gained the TT lap record of of 52 mph continuous average speed. More specs and user manual of Scott 1910 you can see in next overview.