The Black Lightning was produced by Vincent-HRD. First built in September 1948 at the Vincent works in Great North Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, UK, and produced from 1948 to 1952. The last motorcycle of this model rolled off the production line in 1948 in in Stevenage,
Yale was one of many American motorcycle manufacturers, which disappeared by the 1920s. It started out as the Yale 1912 California, produced in Sacramento. but were bought out by the Consolidated Manufacturing Company and production moved to Ohio.
Indian Motorcycleskeeps that tradition alive with its Chief Vintage. The designers build upon almost 90 years of Chief tradition with this ride, and while all Indians show their historical roots in varying degrees, none is quite as overt as the aptly named Vintage.
The Harley-Davidson FL Hydra-Glide proved a major step for Big-Twin engines, when the old hand-shift/foot-clutch arrangement was superseded by a modern foot shift and hand clutch. However, the old setup was still optionally available - and would remain so until the mid-1970s - as it was still
The Selly Oak company of Ariel first produced the sporting model Ariel Red Hunter 500 in 1932, this example is of 1934 vintage and is believed to be one of the first foot change models.
Following on from an advanced but unreliable two-stroke engine that was originally designed for the TT, the Velocette developed a powerful four-stroke with overheadcams. This classic design was the Velocette Model K and would become the blueprint for future models.
This is the road touring model and shares virtually everything except higher compression with the racing Ulster model. Rudge Whitworth was a British manufacturing company that was very advanced for its time with innovations like 4 valve heads and brake actuation that was linked front and rear.
In 1932 Bert Collier designed and built a narrow angled 594cc V-Four called the Matchless Silver Hawk motorcycle. The bold engine design was quite sophisticated for the time, and the SilverHawk would be the precursor to the AJS Vee Four several years later.
The motorcycle is a 1927 AJS Big Port 500cc racer, complete with pannier petrol tanks bolted together, and an auxiliary oil pump on the separate oil tank.
The alterations included a 3-speed gearbox and enclosed chain drive. The AJS model D moto was given a 6h.p. V-twin engine and a sidecar version was introduced.
In the company's advertising of the early 1920s the Brough Superior was hailed as the 'Rolls-Royce of motor cycles'; after the men from that famous marque's Crewe factory had examined the bike they had to concede that it did indeed live up to the title and they gave the Brough company permission to
Suzuki Loom Manufacturing Company presented the side-valve powered Colleda 250 TT motorcycle in May 1954, the first real motorcycle from Suzuki. The singlecylinder 90cc 4-stroke engine developed four horsepower and ran quite smoothly, thanks to its heavy fly wheel, attached to ignition magneto.